Thursday, February 21, 2008

Blankets

In Terry's Thursday morning class, I just finished reading Blankets by Craig Thompson. This Illustrated Novel is the best set of comics I've ever read. The Illustration completely melted my heart- Terry was saying Craig mainly used brush and ink- and it completely pays off. The pictures have the fluidity that can only be achieved with a brush.
The storyline is beautiful, and slightly haunting- the illustration does well to complement this. It feels like Thompson has almost exposed himself with the close and personal stories he reveals, and added with the pictures, I feel like Craig and I are now the closest of friends. The plot cuts between Thompson and his younger brother when they were kids, and Thompson as a teenager, the most vulnerable years of his life. It adds another dimension to the comic just to know that these things actually happened in the writer/artist's life. I feel privileged to have shared in these stories with him.
I recommend highly (If you are a sucker for a bit of teenage- real life romance in your comics) that you read this beautiful novel.

No comments: