Wednesday, March 26, 2008

top 10 best most favourite songs of all time

Inspired by Dan (http://danielgsbitanim.blogspot.com), I have decided to create my own Top 10 Ellie's Best And Most Favourite Songs Of All Time.

OK!


Number 10 (but only number 10 because its a recent discovery): All I Want Is You- Barry Louis Polisar
This beautifully crafted acoustic song has clever, rhyming lyrics that are sweet and enjoyable. I discovered this song when watching Juno, its the animated opening credits song. The verse that caught my attention firstly was "If were a wink, well I'd be a nod, if you were a seed, I'd be the pod. If You were the floor I'd wanna be the rug and if you were a kiss I know I'd be a hug."



Number 9: Close To Me- The Cure

This is my all time favourite Cure song, which is crazy because there are some wicked good The Cure songs out there. But I love how Robert Smith is all like "bah bah bahhh" along with the trumpets. The song's so full of anitcipation. I love it.
*
*
*
*
*
*

Number 8: Deceptecon- Le Tigre
This song has hilarious and very fond memories. For further reference, look up the film clip on you tube. They're angry, They're crazy, They're the only fem rock girl band I know with a male member. Othersongs worth checking out of Le Tigre's are TKO and Get Off The Internet.







Number 7: The Shins- Red Rabbits

The bass in this song has been so distorted and played with that it sounds like an underwater dripping piano. The Shins are amazing.






Number 6: The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades Is Out To Get Us!- Sufjan Stevens

The escalation of voices and instruments in this song gives me goose bumps every time I listen to it. I adore all of Sufjan's work, but this is like the shiniest of all the shiny jems in his music artillary.


Number 5 (are you still interested, or have you given up?): Autumn Sweater- Yo La Tengo

This chilled tune is nostalgic and calming, and kinda hopeful all at once.

"We could slip away/ wouldn't that be better? Me with nothing to say/ You in your Autumn Sweater."






Number 4: Green Gloves- The National

The Lyrical GENIUS of The National strike again with their most recent album Boxer. Green Gloves is a lovely melody, paired with amazing lyrics. Pretty much all you're looking for in a song.



Number 3: Missed The Boat- Modest Mouse

This song is all about missing out on things, and just having to think, "Oh well, my turn will come." Its hopefull and heart warming. "Oh, And we carried it all so well, as if we got a new promotion..."




Number 2: You Were The Last High- The Dandy Warhols

What's a top 10 list without your favourite Dandy's song? I love this particular Dandy Warhols song because its so laid back and carefree. Where as some of their stuff (Godless, Boys Better, Be In, that kind of thing) is much more serious, the lyrics to this are so playful.

Number 1: Such Great Heights- The Postal Service

This is my all time nuber one best favourite song of all time for a reason. One real reason really. Layers. This song is so amazing with its layer work that every time I listen to it I find something new within the song-sewn folds of music. Each element comes in at different times, and they all come together to build up amazing, fanastical and beautiful patterns.


1 comment:

frank said...

Hey Ellie

I don't know 9 of those. But The Cure may actually be the cause. Not The Cause, or, erk, The Corrs... of afew 1980s hangovers and fashion mistakes.

I need some help for a sound track for my animatic.

Can you help oh musical sage?

There's no point posting a request for help on Dan's blog, he's hardly ever there.

Anyway I need some music that says "Brisbane". Particularly a day wher it starts humid and builds into a thunderstorm.

So far I've looked at Pete Murray, The Go-Betweens and George. Maybe Powderfinger have something?

What do ya reckon?